Babergh District Council has now confirmed the expanded Conservation Area boundary as detailed below, modified only slightly from their earlier proposal in order to exclude the property to the North West of the B1115 opposite the turning to The Street.
Proposed expansion (April 2019):-
Local authorities are required by law to 'preserve and enhance' the appearance of Conservation Areas in the course of their planning duties, and also to review their boundaries periodically and bring forward proposals for preserving and enhancing them.
One of the main reasons for having an up-to-date Appraisal is to use it as a reference tool for planning officers who may be making development decisions concerning areas that they are not familiar with. Indeed, they may not even have visited the area, so it's important that they are able to gain as much information as possible from the document.
The original GW Conservation Area was centred on the Grade-1 listed church with an extension East to Upsher Green as can be seen in the map below.
On the 22nd of October 1935, The Times published a photo taken from the B1115 of the view across the fields towards the church. Alongside that photo (below) is a photo taken over 80 years later, and showing how little the view has changed in that time.
Here are some photos of parts of the Conservation Area and possible Heritage Assets from around the village.
After the Second World War the government recognised that there was little to protect historic buildings, and started to take a rather piecemeal approach to do so. However there was widespread public concern about the pace of redevelopment in historic towns and cities, and unregulated development in villages, so in 1967 the Civic Amenities Act was introduced, and with it the concept of Conservation Areas was born.